Jeep Grand Cherokee
+ Cars of the Jeep Grand Cherokee brand
+ Settings and routine maintenance
+ Line six-cylinder engine
+ V8 engine
- Procedures of the general and capital repairs of the engine
Capital repairs of the engine - the general information
Check of compression pressure in cylinders
The diagnostic checks made by means of the vacuum gage
Methods of removal of the engine and necessary precautionary measures
Removal and installation of the engine
Options of restoration of the engine
Order of dismantling of the engine
Dismantling of a head of cylinders
Cleaning and check of a condition of a head of cylinders
Service of valves
Assembly of a head of cylinders
Removal of conrod and piston assemblies
Removal of a bent shaft
Cleaning of the block of the engine
Check of a condition of the block of the engine
Honingovaniye of cylinders
Check of a condition of conrod and piston assemblies
Check of a condition of a bent shaft
Check of a condition of radical and conrod bearings
Engine assembly order after completion of its capital repairs
Installation of a bent shaft and check of gaps of radical bearings
Installation of piston rings
Installation of conrod and piston assemblies and check of gaps in conrod bearings
The first start of the engine after capital repairs
+ Cooling systems, heating and air conditioning
+ A power supply system and production of the fulfilled gases
+ System of electric equipment of the engine
+ Systems of decrease in toxicity of the fulfilled gases and engine management
+ Manual box of gear shifting
+ Automatic transmission
+ Transfer case
+ Coupling and transmission line
+ Brake system
+ Suspension bracket and steering
+ System of onboard electric equipment
+ Governing bodies and methods of operation
Removal of conrod and piston assemblies
Before starting dismantle of conrod and piston assemblies remove a head (i) of cylinders, the pallet of a case and the oil pump (see appropriate sections of Heads the Line six-cylinder engine and the V8 Engine).
- Поскоблив the top part of mirrors of cylinders a nail, try to establish whether there is a step wear of cylinders in regions of the upper bound of the course of piston rings (approximately in 6.4 mm from the upper edge of the cylinder). If as a result of a nagaroobrazovaniye or wear in the top part of cylinders steps are formed, they have to be completely removed by means of a special vertical drill. Follow instructions of manufacturers of the tool. The neglect this requirement is fraught with damage of pistons in the course of removal of conrod and piston assemblies.
- Removal of step wear in the top part of cylinders requires use of a special vertical drill - this procedure has to be made before extraction of pistons!
- After removal of step wear in the top part of cylinders turn the engine upside down so that the bent shaft was turned up.
- Before rods are removed, determine the size of their axial side play by means of the probe of lezviyny type. You enter probe edges between the lower head of the first rod and a cheek of a crank before full elimination of a side play. Total thickness of the edges entered into a gap will be the size of an axial gap. If the size of a side play exceeds admissible value, it is necessary to make replacement of rods. When replacing rods or a bent shaft the size of an axial side play of rods can fall below an admissible limit, in this case rods have to be subjected to machining - consult with experts of a workshop of car service. Repeat check for each of rods.
- Measure a side gap (an axial side play) of rods by means of the probe of lezviyny type.
- Check rods and covers of their lower heads (conrod bearings) for existence of identification tags. In case of lack of those put them independently by means of a small center punch (the quantity of tags has to correspond to serial number of the cylinder).
- On a half-turn for one approach, weaken nuts of covers of the lower heads of rods until the possibility of untwisting by their hands appears. Uncover the first rod together with a bearing insert. Try not to drop an insert from a cover.
- Pull on bolts of fastening of a cover on a rod pieces of a rubber hose for protection of a neck of a bent shaft and a mirror of the cylinder against damage by bolts in the course of assembly extraction.
- Take a bearing insert from the lower head of a rod and push out conrod and piston assembly at the top of the cylinder from the engine. For pushing through of assembly through the cylinder rest against a bearing bed in a rod head the wooden handle of the hammer. At emergence of feeling of the slightest resistance immediately stop pushing through of assembly in the cylinder and make sure that step wear in its top part is completely removed.
- Repeat the procedure for the remained assemblies.
- After extraction of assemblies from the engine establish inserts and covers of conrod bearings on the places (previously having removed protective hoses from bolts) and by hand tighten fixing nuts. Leaving of old inserts in heads of rods before installation of assemblies into place will help to prevent casual damage of their working surfaces.
- Do not separate pistons from rods (fuller information see in the Section Check of a Condition of Conrod and Piston Assemblies).