Jeep Grand Cherokee
+ Cars of the Jeep Grand Cherokee brand
- Settings and routine maintenance
- Schedule of routine maintenance of Jeep Cherokee
General information on settings
Checks of levels of liquids (each 400 km (250 miles) of a run or weekly)
Check of a condition of tires and pressure in them (each 400 km (250 miles) of a run or weekly)
Check of level of liquid of automatic transmission (each 400 km (250 miles) of a run or weekly)
Check of level of liquid of system of hydrostrengthening of a wheel (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or time in 3 months)
Change of motive oil and oil filter (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or time in 3 months)
Check and service of the battery (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or time in 3 months)
Check of serviceability of the cooling system (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or time in 3 months)
Check of a state and replacement of the hoses passing under a cowl (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or times in 3 months)
Check of a state and replacement of brushes of screen wipers (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or time in 3 months)
Check of a condition of a suspension bracket and steering
Check of a condition of system of production of the fulfilled gases (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of level of gearbox oil of the manual transmission (RKPP) (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of level of oil of the transfer case of all-wheel drive (4WD) models (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of level of oil of differential (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Rotation of wheels (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of a condition of brake mechanisms (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of a condition of components of a power supply system (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of a state, adjustment of a tension and replacement of a driving belt (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of a condition of seat belts (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Check of functioning of the sensor switch of permission of start (only models with AT) (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Chassis lubricant (each 12 000 km (7500 miles) of a run, or time in 6 months)
Replacement of the air filter (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Replacement of liquid and the filter of automatic transmission (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Adjustment of tapes of the automatic transmission (AT) (model since 1994 of the issue) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Replacement of gearbox oil of a manual box (switching) of transfers (RKPP) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Change of oil of the transfer case (model 4WD) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Differential oil change (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Service of the cooling system (depletion, washing and filling) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Check of a state and replacement of the valve of system of the operated ventilation of a case (PCV) (V8 engines) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Check, clearing and replacement of a hose of system of continuous ventilation of a case (CCV) (the 6th cylinder engines) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Check of serviceability of functioning of system of catching of vapors of fuel (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Cleaning of the filter of ventilation of a case (V8 engines) (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Replacement of the fuel filter (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Replacement of spark plugs (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
Check of a condition of candle wires, a cover and the runner of the distributor (each 48 000 km (30 000 miles) of a run, or time in two years)
+ Line six-cylinder engine
+ V8 engine
+ Procedures of the general and capital repairs of the engine
+ Cooling systems, heating and air conditioning
+ A power supply system and production of the fulfilled gases
+ System of electric equipment of the engine
+ Systems of decrease in toxicity of the fulfilled gases and engine management
+ Manual box of gear shifting
+ Automatic transmission
+ Transfer case
+ Coupling and transmission line
+ Brake system
+ Suspension bracket and steering
+ System of onboard electric equipment
+ Governing bodies and methods of operation
Check and service of the battery (each 4800 km (3000 miles) of a run or time in 3 months)
During the checking and service of the battery it is necessary to observe special precautionary measures. In banks of the battery there is always at the highest measure a flammable hydrogen therefore approach to the venue of works with the lit cigarette, and any sources of naked flame is inadmissible. Work only with the neiskroobrazuyushchy tool. Electrolyte of the battery represents solution of sulfuric acid and its hit in eyes and on open parts of the body is fraught with serious injuries. Besides, electrolyte easily destroys fabric of clothes and paint of panels of a body of the car. At a detachment from the battery of wires always begin with negative. It is necessary to connect it, on the contrary, the last.
Conscientious approach to care of the battery with observance of intervals of routine maintenance is the only key to trouble-free start of the car. Before getting to work, make sure available near at hand the necessary equipment providing a guarantee of safe performing procedures of service of the battery.
Tools and materials necessary for service of the battery.
1 — the Front screen / goggles - During removal of corrosion from battery plugs by means of a brush of a particle of the crystallized acid easily can get into eyes
2 — Baking soda - Solution of baking soda in water is applied to corrosion neutralization
3 — Acid-free vaseline - Drawing a layer of such vaseline on each of battery plugs will also help to prevent corrosion development
4 — the Device for cleaning of plugs of batteries/tips of wires - the wire brush Of this kind perfectly deletes any traces of corrosion from plugs of batteries/tips of wires
5 — the Impregnated felt washers - Putting on of such washers of the plug of the battery directly under tips of wires will help to prevent corrosion development (track that washers of the required type in case of a side arrangement of plugs were picked up)
6 — the Stripper - Sometimes terminal clips hardly give in to removal from battery plugs even after a full otdavaniye of a coupling bolt / nut. Such stripper will help to remove without damages clips from plugs in strictly vertical direction
7 — the Device for cleaning of plugs of batteries/tips of wires - Other type of the smoothing-out tool slightly different on a design and the principle of action from mentioned in point 4, however, intended for the same purpose
8 — Rubber gloves - Are other means of personal protection during the work with the battery; remember that in the battery acid contains!
At performing procedures of service of the battery it is necessary to observe some special precautionary measures. Always previously switch-off all electric equipment and disconnect a negative wire from the battery.
In banks of the battery hydrogen, at the same time fire - and explosive is continuously emitted. Do not allow casual sparking at all, and also do not approach the venue of works with the lit cigarette or other type of naked flame. You make battery charging in well ventilated room.
Electrolyte contains toxic and extremely aggressive sulfuric acid. Do not allow hit of electrolyte in eyes, on open parts of the body, clothes and the painted surfaces of the car. Hit in an organism even of insignificant amount of electrolyte is extremely dangerous! During service of the battery surely put on protective gloves and glasses. Do not allow children to approach the battery.
- Check an external condition of the battery. If the positive plug of the battery and its terminal clip on your car are equipped with a rubber protector, check it for existence of cuts and other damages. The protector has to cover completely the plug together with a clip. Check clips for reliability of fastening on plugs and existence of signs of corrosion. The case and a cover of the battery should not have cracks. The battery has to fasten reliably on the pallet clamping levels. Check both wires of the battery on all their length for existence of cracks and protertosty isolation.
- If during external survey of the battery corrosion traces are found (in particular around an arrangement of plugs) which represent a fragile crust of white color, the battery has to be removed for carrying out cleaning. A key weaken bolts of terminal clips - you remember that the negative wire has to be disconnected by the first - and remove clips from plugs. Then give fixture (a bolt with a nut) a clamping level, remove a level and take the battery from a motive compartment.
- Carefully smooth out terminal clips of wires one of special devices (see an illustration) and wipe them with solution of baking soda. The same solution wash out plugs in the top part of a casing of the battery, however, you watch that solution did not get in the battery. You purge in goggles and rubber gloves in order to avoid hit of splashes of solution in eyes and on open sites of hands. The clothes should be put on such that after it was not is a pity to throw out it - splashes of the solution mixed with acid will lead to education in fabric of holes. If extent of corrosion of plugs is too big, previously smooth out plugs special adaptation (see point 7 on
an illustration). Carefully rinse all smoothed-out surfaces with clear fresh water.
When cleaning terminal clips of tips of wires of the battery from them all traces of corrosion have to be removed (openings in clips have the cone-shaped form answering to a form of plugs therefore it is not necessary to be zealous excessively, removing too much material from walls of openings).
|| Regardless of type of the tool used to cleaning of plugs of the battery the last have to be as a result absolutely pure and brilliant.
- Check a condition of the pallet of the battery and bolts of clamping levels. If the battery is removed from the pallet, track that at its bottom no tools and other foreign objects were forgotten. When fastening the battery on the pallet do not tighten clamping bolts of levels too hardly.
- All metal surfaces of the car damaged by corrosion have to be processed and covered with primer on a zinc basis, then are painted.
- Information on removal and installation of the battery can be found in the Head Sistema of electric equipment of the engine. The order of carrying out start of the car from the auxiliary power supply is described at the beginning of this manual.
During charging in the battery there is a generation of extremely explosive hydrogen. You do not smoke and do not approach an installation site of the charged or recently charged battery with naked flame. Approaching the charged battery, put on goggles. Connect the battery to the charger and disconnect it from it only after switching off of the device from network.
Manufacturers recommend to remove the battery from the car for carrying out its charging as the gas which is emitted during the procedure can damage the painted surfaces or elements of finishing (depending on the equipment) the car. Carrying out the accelerated battery charging at the wires connected to it can lead to failure of electric equipment.
The best from the point of view of completeness of recovery of initial characteristics is charging discharged to a state when start of the car of the battery with a slow speed is not provided. Well such way of charging proves to be and at restoration of level of a charge of the battery of the car operated in the mode of short routes with long parking at the killed engine. Need of support of level of a charge of the battery is of particular importance in winter season when start of the engine is especially complicated, and electric equipment functions with the maximum load.
It is the best of all to use 1 - 2 ampere charger. Such power supplies provide the safest mode of charging with the minimum loads of the battery. Except that it is also important, they are the least expensive. For bystry charging it is possible to use the high-ampere power supply, however it is not necessary to apply 1/10 nominal amperes sentries of the characteristic of the battery exceeding on productivity. Charging mode restoring characteristics of the battery for 1 - 2 hour is the most intense in relation to the battery and easily can lead to an exit of the last out of operation if it is not in the best state. Chargers of this kind should be used only in extreme situations.
The average time of restoration of a charge of the battery is specified in the technical characteristics of the charger attached to the instruction for its operation. Usually it makes for 1 - 2 ampere chargers from 12 to 16 hours.
- Uncover battery cans (if those are provided) and stop up openings with pure rags in order to avoid electrolyte spraying. Disconnect a negative wire from the battery from the battery and connect to its plugs wires from the charger (with respect for polarity - plus - to plus, minus - to minus), then turn on the charger in network. Track that the handle of the selector of the device was installed in a provision of 12 Century.
- If you use the power supply with the rated current exceeding (1 - 2) And whether regularly in the course to charging check the battery overheated. When charging battery from 1 - 2 ampere power supply, it is enough to track charging course only the first two hours then it is possible to leave safely the battery to be loaded for the night without supervision.
- If the battery is equipped with removable covers of cans, density of electrolyte has to be checked by means of the areometer each several hours of a charging cycle. Areometers can be bought cheap in any shop of automobile accessories - adhere to the instruction attached to the device. The battery can be considered loaded when density of electrolyte does not change in two last measurements, the interval between which makes 2 hours, and electrolyte in banks begins to bubble freely (to bubble). The difference between indications of the areometer in various banks of the battery has to be minimum, otherwise the battery/bank(s) should consider faulty.
- Some batteries of tight type are equipped with the built-in areometers and the level of their charge is determined by the color indicator through an observation port. Bright color usually corresponds to the loaded state whereas darkening of the indicator indicates recharge of the battery the need.
- If the battery of tight type is not equipped with the built-in areometer, between its plugs for control of the course of charging it is possible to connect the digital voltmeter. Tension of completely charged battery has to make not lower than 12.6 In the ambassador of removal of a superficial charge.
- Additional requirements for the battery and carrying out start of the engine of the car from an auxiliary source can be found in the Head Sistema of electric equipment of the engine and at the beginning of the Management (see Start of the engine from the auxiliary power supply).